Tuesday, 24 September 2019

TTCRD Design Team Project 24 Sept

Hi Lovelies!

Today is challenge day for Design Team B for the Through The Craft Room Door Challenge.  This is a WEEKLY "anything goes" (any type of project and any theme) challenge with 2 design teams who alternate weeks to make projects showcasing the sponsor who often offers PRIZES!


This week's sponsor is Wink Wink InkYou can read a bit more about them below.

Prize:  Three images as used by Design Team

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WinkWinkInk
Blog: http://www.winkwinkink.com/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/winkwinkink/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/digital.stamps/

As there is still a week of September remaining, I'm still using sketches which are the "product focus" of the month at Rediscover Your Stash as I have mentioned before.


I found this sketch online while looking for inspiration so I could translate this challenge to card projects as well.  It's the most recent one from Freshly Made Sketches.  Timing was such that it didn't work to enter this card as their challenge finished before this one started,  It was fine since I'm not sure whether my splodgy background (made using the "packaging technique" and Distress Ink) really fit into their guidelines.


I really like it and will definitely be trying it again!

The best bit is that I pulled ALL the bits of patterned paper from my scrap box as I was hoping to do with this month's Counterfeit Kit Challenge.  👍

The execution was a little tricky since it was a digi I was limited as to which paper will go through the printer.

At first I thought I'd have to mask the worm and I learned the hard way what disaster can strike from colouring first then masking on the wrong paper!

I also wasn't sure whether I wanted to watercolour, use Inktense or Copic markers.  I decided to try Neenah in the 80lb weight.  Copics will work well enough on Neenah, but my personal preference for Copics (X-Press Blending Card)  is a huge no-no when it comes to masking,

It turns out that even masking Neenah wont stop the splodgy ink soaking through and bleeding under the image, so I tried a second time and didn't bother masking.  I just used much less of the ink doing my best to avoid the worm.

Inktense doesn't work at all well on Neenah so I thought using Copics dark enough to mask the few bits of worm that  still managed to be hit with ink.  It turns out that what does and does not qualify as "worm coloured" is actually a rather controversial topic in our fam bam.  Who knew? 🤣🤷

I just KNEW I wanted "hang in there" as a sentiment and was pretty sure I had at least one stamp with this sentiment.  I also hoped for a squiggly "wormy" looking scripty font.  It was Honey Bee stamps (in a cat themed set no less) for the win! 🙌

Since the worm image was tall, I felt it was a good opportunity to try making a narrow "DL" card.  

I adhered the Neenah card front to the blue mat with a copious quantity of Permanent Glue Dots since past experience has taught me that even flattened water coloured paper will naturally want to pull away and regular adhesive is not strong enough.  I then used foam tape to adhere to the card base for a bit of dimension.  More glue dots for the sequins of course.

In retrospect, I could have stitched down the sequins and the paper layers on the front.  It wasn't possible after adding the glue dots since it would gum up the needle.  I'd have to have stitched the card layers together which would have been nice too.

That's all from me and I hope you stop by the TTCRD blog to enter this week's challenge!

Love and creative cardmaking,

No comments:

Post a Comment